© Crimson Bluffs Chapter, Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation

Clark, July 24, 1805:  “Crossed 5 handsom Streams in one Vallie one only had any timber on it one other Willows only & a number of beaver Dams.”

 

Lewis, July 25, 1805:  "… the valley appeared to termineate and the river was again hemned in on both sides with high caiggy and rocky clifts. soon after entering these hills or low mountains we passed a number of fine bold springs which burst out underneath the Lard. clifts near the edge of the water; they wer very cold and freestone water. we passed a large Crk. today in the plain country, 25 yds. wide, which discharges itself on the Stard. side; it is composed of five streams which unite in the plain at no great distance from the river and have their souces in the Mts. this stream we called Gass's Creek. after Sergt. Patric Gass one of our party."

[“Gass’s Creek,” is now known as Crow Creek.]